Saturday, October 13, 2012

Figueroa Mountain Brewing Company

Another Groupon motivated trip: we headed out to Buellton for some beer tasting with Eric and Ra.  It was a nice day so we all piled into the convertible for the trip out.

Well-presented beers
The beers were very... mixed.   The pilsner was okay, the brown was good, the red was pretty good, and the rest were very hoppy.  Neither Melch nor I is a huge fan of hoppy beers, but they're a fact of life here on the west coast.  The black had an interesting flavor, but only an experienced IPA drinker would be able to handle the hop dominance.  I didn't put more than a sip or two's effort into the IPA or DIPA.  Even so, it was a cool trip for the other beers and for the neat little tasting room that they have there.  Any Santa Barbarian beer fans reading this should plan a trip.

Smorgasbord!
 The beer left us with a bit of an appetite, so we drove into Solvang for some eats.  We stopped at the Red Viking, a Danish place that's a bit touristy, but pretty good.  I'm Swedish not Danish, but the countries are neighbors and there are similarities in cuisine.  As a result, the all-you-can-eat Smorgasbord on offer fit well with memories that I have of visiting my Swedish grandparents for family gatherings.  Leberwurst, meatballs, Danish cheeses, cold cuts, knocklbrot, and so on.  Good times.  +1, would gorge myself there again (I actually already DID gorge myself there again, but that's another story).

Tight quarters
The trip back was a bit cooler, so we elected to put the top up.  I'd ridden in the back of my car on the way out, but our guests were gracious enough to take the tiny seats for the return trip.  It's... cozy... back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment