Saturday, May 31, 2014

Hawaii - May 26 - Hanauma, Duk Kee, Leonard's, Waikiki

We had seen Hanauma from the parking lot and from the air, but we had never actually gone snorkeling down there.  Given that the place is famous for reef snorkeling, that was an oversight that Melch wanted to remedy ASAP.  So we made our way down the coast and rented ourselves some flippers.

Hanauma is pretty awesome even before you get your toes wet.  Like most of Hawaii, it's filled with white sand and palm trees.




The snorkeling was pretty awesome too.  The masks wouldn't seal over my copious hair, but I could still breath for a while before the water filled up and I had to surface.  I saw many different kinds of fish and a bunch of reef.  It my first experience snorkeling as an adult and while I did enjoy it, I think next time I'll seek out some nose plugs and regular old swim goggles rather than the combined mask that wasn't working too well for me.

After working up an appetite in the ocean, we headed to Kaimuki to eat at Duk Kee, one of Kerry's old favorites.  We even got some of his favorite dishes, like the abalone.


After that, it was on to Leonard's for their world-famous malasadas.  This is another must-do tradition for myself and Melch and of course another new thing for Drayas.  Sweetening (heh) the deal: the Flavor of the Month malasada was guava!  I love guava and had more than my share of guava malasadas over our stay.



Sufficiently fat and happy, we made our way down to Waikiki to hang watch the sunset and have a round on a rooftop bar.  Pretty good way to wrap up an eventful day before heading over the hill to sleep.  The bar we went to had a pretty decent duo playing live music.






The central theme of their songs seemed to be around happiness I suppose ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment